Site Map Contact Us Home



Due to COVID-19, Georgetown County offices are open on a limited basis at this time. Residents are asked to call or e-mail before coming to county facilities. Many requests can be met virtually, saving you a trip. Admittance to county facilities is currently on an appointment-only basis.

Those seeking permits from the Planning and Zoning Departments may print permit applications online from the Applications section of this page. Completed applications and scanned copies of attachments may be emailed to Planning. Credit card payments can be made by calling (843) 545-3158. Check payments and hard copies can be mailed to Georgetown County Planning Department, P.O. Drawer 421270, Georgetown, SC, 29442. For assistance, or if you are unable to access our applications online, please contact the Planning Department at 843-545-3158 or the Zoning Department at 843-545-3602.


Holly Richardson, Director

Location: Room 222, 129 Screven Street, Georgetown, S.C. 29440 
Telephone: (843) 545-3158
Fax: (843) 545-3299

Georgetown County Department of Planning & Code Enforcement
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.(except for legal holidays)
Mailing Address: P.O. Drawer 421270, Georgetown, SC 29442-4200
Directions: Office is located on the 2nd floor of the historic Georgetown County Courthouse building


What's New?

Georgetown County and the consulting firm used for the Highway 17 Companion Corridor study hosted a virtual public meeting on the project on Thursday, Dec. 10. Anyone who missed attending the virtual meeting can watch the full recording at the link below.

Watch the full recording of the meeting

View meeting appendix

Download a draft of the companion study


Department Functions:

To develop a comprehensive and innovative land use planning program. To create viable solutions for the future growth and development of Georgetown County. This task includes providing implementation of the Comprehensive Plan, establishing special project standards for beaches and dunes, and reviewing proposed land use plans. Additional tasks include:

  • Protection of highway efficiency
  • Improvement of zoning
  • Creation of greenways and parks
  • Review applications for rezonings, new development and redevelopment in the unincorporated areas of Georgetown County
  • Provide support for the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals

Tree Removal:

Tree Protection Rules



Board of Architectural Review:

Zoning Board of Appeals:

Planning Commission:

Comprehensive Plan

This list does not include all elements of the Comprehensive Plan, additional elements will be added as they are revised and approved.



Please click here for Land Development Regulations.

Please click here for Zoning Ordinances.



Q: What do I do if I want to rezone my property?
Submit a rezoning application along with a $250 application fee and stamped, addressed, unsealed envelopes to adjacent property owners within 400 feet of your property.  The Planning Commission will hold a public hearing on your request.  County Council must give three readings to a rezoning change before it is final.  The process typically takes about 120 days. 

Q: Can I have an accessory dwelling unit on my property?
Accessory dwelling units or granny flats are allowed in most residential zoning districts with some conditions.  Units are limited to 900 square feet of living space and may require a lot area of a certain size based on the zoning.  Contact the Zoning Department at 843-545-3602 for more information.

Q: How do I get a plat or map of my property?
If you are looking for a recorded plat of your property please contact the Register of Deeds office at 843-545-3088.  If you are looking for an aerial view or zoning map, please contact the Planning or Zoning Departments at 843-545-3158.

Q: How can I access zoning map information online?
Links to the County’s GIS servers are available on the GIS section of this website.  Please contact the Zoning Department for confirmation of the most current designation as changes are approved monthly.

Q: I want to subdivide my residential property.  What should I do?
Contact the Planning Department to determine if it is possible to do so based on your lot size and current zoning.  You will need to then submit 5 originals of a plat prepared by a surveyor to the Planning Department for review.  The applicable water and sewer authority may also need to review the plat.  Once it is approved by the Planning Department, it may be recorded in the Register of Deeds office for Georgetown County.



Disclaimer: Ordinances are amended frequently and time may lapse before the online version is updated. People are encouraged to contact the Planning Office or Zoning Office at (843) 545-3158 to be sure they are using the current ordinance. Georgetown County is not responsible for the use of any information on this website.