Site Map Contact Us Home

General Sessions

Location: 401 Cleland Street, 1st Fl. Room 115
Phone: (843) 545-3054
Fax: (843) 545-3281

Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, (except for legal holidays)
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 479, Georgetown, SC 29442

Department Functions:

General Sessions Court hears criminal cases. The principal parties in these cases are the Solicitor, who represents the state, and the defendant’s attorney. Depending on the nature of the offense, this judicial process may require participation of other agencies and offices between the time of an arrest and disposition of a case. Other agencies and offices may include the magistrate, grand jury, law enforcement officers, Department of Correction, pretrial intervention program, parole and community corrections, etc.

General Sessions Court term (schedule) is set by the South Carolina Court Administration pursuant to final order signed by the Chief Justice of the South Carolina Supreme Court. The South Carolina Court Administration sets terms for six-month periods with assignment of Circuit Court Judges who preside over each term, and are subject to change.


From Columbia: Take S.C. Highway 76/378 toward Sumter. Travel about 25 miles then exit onto S.C. Highway 261 to Manning. S.C. Highway 261 becomes 521 in Manning. Take Highway 521 to Georgetown. Inside the city limits, highway 521 becomes Highmarket (H-Market) Street. Continue on Highmarket Street to Cleland Street. Turn left onto Cleland Street. The Georgetown County Judicial Center sits on the left.

From Charleston: Take S.C. Highway 17 North to Georgetown. Once inside the city limits, Highway 17 becomes S. Fraser Street. At the third traffic light, turn right onto Church Street. Turn right onto Cleland Street. The Judicial Center sits on the right.

From Myrtle Beach: Take S.C. Highway 17 South to Georgetown. Upon entering Georgetown, Highway 17 becomes Church Street. Travel along Church Street; turn left onto Cleland Street. The Georgetown County Judicial Center sits on the right.

From Conway: Take S.C. Highway 701 South to Georgetown. Inside the city limits, Highway 701 becomes N. Fraser Street. At the fourth traffic light, turn left onto Church Street. Take Church Street to Cleland Street. Turn right onto Cleland. The Georgetown County Judicial Center sits on the right.

Department News:

Cellular telephones, beepers, pagers, etc. are not allowed in the courtroom.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What if I do not like the outcome of my case; can I appeal?
A: Cases tried or otherwise disposed of in General Sessions Court are appealed to the South Carolina State Supreme Court. Appeals are filed with the Clerk of the State Supreme Court.

Q: How do I file a criminal case?
A: If you feel like you are the victim of a crime, you should contact the nearest police department in your area.

Q: How can I speak with a Public Defender?
A: Contact the Public Defenders’ office at (843) 545-3671.

Q: How can I receive a pardon and have my civil rights restored?
A: Contact Georgetown County Probation and Parole office at (843) 546-9798 for details.

Q: How can I review my file? How can I obtain copies of my file?
A: All records filed with the Clerk of Court's office are public information with the exception of cases sealed by a court order. There is a 25-cent fee to accommodate the cost for each copy and $1 fee for each certification. If your case was heard in Magistrate Court / Municipal Court, you must contact the Magistrate who heard your case.

Q: Where can I get a criminal record report? Will your office do a criminal background check?
A: To obtain a criminal record report, contact the arresting agency in the county the arrest took place. The clerk’s office will not perform any criminal background check. You are welcome to come into our office between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. to research the matter or have someone else complete the research for you.

Q: How can I find out my court date?
A: To find out when you should appear in General Sessions Court please contact the Georgetown County Solicitor’s office at (843) 545-3169.