Site Map Contact Us Home

Clerk of Court

Due to COVID-19, Georgetown County offices are open on a limited basis at this time. Residents are asked to call or e-mail the department you have business with before coming to county facilities. Many requests can be met virtually, saving you a trip. Admittance to county facilities is currently on an appointment-only basis. Trials continue to be suspended. 

Those needing to make payments for any of the county’s magistrate offices may do so at the drop box location at Central Traffic Court, 333 Cleland Street. No cash and no personal checks are accepted – money orders or cashier’s checks only. Please include a copy of the ticket or case number with payment. Payments may also be made via the Georgetown County website.


Contact Information

Location: 401 Cleland Street, 1st Fl. Room 115
(Parking very limited)
Phone: (843) 545-3215
Fax: (843) 545-3281
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday (except legal holidays)

Mailing Address: P.O. Box 479, Georgetown, SC 29442-0479
Contact Person: Alma White, Clerk of Court


Department Functions:

To provide administrative support, maintaining court records and information of the judicial system for Common Pleas, Family Court and General Sessions including criminal felony and misdemeanor cases, civil, family, and juvenile cases. Records include the filing of new civil cases, judgments, Lis Pendens, arbitration actions and attachments, coordinating motion hearings, jury and non-jury court proceedings, and court rosters for attorneys. Elected countywide, the Clerk of Court serves a four-year term.


Frequently Asked Questions:

Q. Where do I obtain a passport application?
A. Passport applications are available at the Georgetown Post Office, Monday through Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. Call (843) 546-5515 for inquiries.

Q. Where do I obtain a Notary Public application?
A. Notary Public applications are available through the Legislative Delegation Office in the historic Georgetown County Courthouse, 129 Screven St., in Georgetown. There is an application fee of $25. Once an applicant completes the form and returns the form to the Delegation Office, the form is then notarized and sent to Columbia. Once the applicant receives the commission, he or she must bring it to the Clerk of Court for recordation. This requires a $10 filing fee. Call (843) 545-3029 for inquires.

Q. Where can I find a list of qualified bail bondsmen for Georgetown County?
A. See the section "additional Information" below for a listing of qualified bail bondsmen for Georgetown County.

Q: How do I view a complete schedule of all criminal cases coming up for trial?
A: The Solicitor’s Office schedules criminal cases for trial. Contact the Solicitor’s office at (843) 545-3169.

Q: Does your office provide legal advice?
A: The Clerk of Court´s office cannot give legal advice. Persons seeking advice or acting as their own attorney should consult the most recent edition of South Carolina Rules of Court and follow the Rules of Civil Procedure.

Q: How do I hire a public defender?
A: If you are financially unable to obtain adequate legal representation and you are a defendant in a criminal case, you can apply for a public defender. Staff presents to you upon arrival at the Georgetown County Detention Center or the City of Georgetown Police Department, an application determining whether or not you qualify for a public defender. In the event you do not apply at the County Detention Center or the City Police Department, call the Public Defender’s office (843) 545-3671 to apply for legal counsel. Applications require a $40 non-refundable fee before processing and is only waived or reduced by the proper authorities under certain circumstances.

Q: How do I check on the status of my case? How do I discover the outcome of my case? How do I review case files?
A: All documents filed with the court are public records and are available through the Clerk´s office. Sometimes sealed by special court order, and sometimes sealed and confidential by operation of law, such as adoptions, abuse and neglect and criminal files relating to juveniles, availability of documents vary. If your criminal case is pending with the Clerk’s office but should be dismissed, please contact the Solicitor’s office in Georgetown County at (843) 545-3169. The South Carolina Department of Social Services on June 3, 2019, officially implemented the “Federally Mandated” State Disbursement Unit (SDU) in Georgetown County.  Obligors currently making support payments to the Georgetown County Clerk of Court’s office will make payments to the South Carolina State Disbursement Unit and mailed to:

South Carolina State Disbursement Unit
Post Office Box 100302
Columbia, SC 29202-3302

Please note that Obligors will only make PURGE payments to the Georgetown County Clerk of Court’s office.  These are payments ordered if an Obligor appears before a Family Court Judge due to him/her being delinquent on the child/spousal support account, or a Bench Warrant was ordered for their arrest.

Do not send PURGE payments to the SDU.

If you have questions about when and how to make payments to the State Disbursement Unit, please contact the SDU customer service center at 1-800-768-5858.  Agents are available Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., excluding holidays.

Q: How do I inquire about my case by telephone?
A: If you have an attorney, you should contact your attorney to learn the status of your case. If you do not have an attorney, you may contact the Solicitor’s office at (843) 545-3169. When calling to inquire about your case, if you provide the indictment or warrant number for the case, the Clerk’s office may answer your questions. Without an indictment or warrant number, you or your designee must visit the office and conduct your own research. For Family Court Child/Spousal Support inquiries, please call the South Carolina State Disbursement at 1-800-768-5858.

Q: How do I review my file? How do I obtain copies of my file?
A: All records filed in the Clerk’s office are public information with the exception of cases sealed by Order of the Court. The fee for file copies is 25 cents per page and $1 for each certified copy. If your case was heard in Magistrate Court / Municipal Court you need to contact that specific Magistrate Court or Municipal (City) Court.

Q: How do I obtain a criminal record report? Will your office complete a criminal background check?
A: To obtain a criminal record report, contact the arresting agency in the county where the arrest took place. The Clerk of Court’s office does not perform criminal background checks. You or your designee may visit the office during regular office hours and complete this research.

Q: What is "expunged?"
A: Expunged is a process destroying or sealing the records of a criminal conviction. This includes records in files, on computer, or in any other depositories. Once expunged, it is as if the criminal case never existed.

Q: How do I know if my records are eligible for expunging?
A: Contact the Georgetown County Solicitor's office at (843) 545-3169.

Q: How do I get my criminal record expunged?
A: The Solicitor’s Office initiates this process. Contact the Solicitor’s office at (843) 545-3169.

Q: How can I represent myself in court?
A: A pro se litigant is one who acts on his own behalf, someone who represents himself or herself without a lawyer. Although not recommended, each party in a legal case has the right to appear pro se. Should you decide to represent yourself, please be mindful of the following things:

  1. The Clerk of Court, the Clerk of Court’s staff, the judge or his/her staff cannot offer any assistance or legal advice. A member of the S.C. bar will answer legal questions at no charge (1-803-799-6653).
  2. Judges may not discuss a case outside the presence of the adverse party. Do not contact the Judge outside of a courtroom, whether by phone, by letter or in person.
  3. You must prepare your own case. This includes preparing the proper pleadings and court documents, presenting all relevant evidence supporting your position, objecting to irrelevant or inadmissible evidence, and arguing the applicable law.
  4. You are responsible for compliance with the South Carolina Rule of Family, the South Carolina Rules of Civil Procedure, and appropriate courtroom conduct.
  5. You must file a financial declaration.

Additional Information:

The Qualified Bail Bondsman Listing is in Adobe PDF file format:

For individuals who truly cannot afford an attorney, there are two methods of obtaining legal services. Those who qualify under the income guidelines may get a legal aid lawyer through the S.C. Center for Equal Justice at 1-888-346-5592. For those who do not qualify for a legal aid attorney, the South Carolina Bar operates a Pro Bono Program (1-803-799-4015), under which lawyers agree to represent needy litigants free of charge. Legal Aid screens Pro Bono clients. For those who can afford an attorney, they may contact the South Carolina Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-868-2284, or refer to the attorney listings in the yellow pages of the local telephone book

Clerk of Court Bio:

Alma Y. White - Clerk of Court

Alma Y. White began her tenure as Clerk of Court January 2001. Previously employed as a public school teacher for almost 21 years, Ms. White attended Howard High School, and graduated from Winyah High School in 1971. She graduated from Claflin College (Orangeburg, SC) in 1975 and later completed her graduate studies at Coastal Carolina University (Conway) and the University of South Carolina (Columbia).

While working for Georgetown County School District, Ms. White served as a member of Georgetown City Council from 1990 to 2000. During part of that time, she served as Mayor Pro Tem.