Contact Info ·
Sel Hemingway, County Administrator
Location: 716 Prince Street Georgetown, S.C. 29440
Phone: (843) 545-3006
Fax: (843) 545-3121
Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (except for legal holidays)
Mailing address: P.O. Box 421270, Georgetown, S. C. 29442-1270
Point of Contact: Ollie Lewis, Executive Administrative Assistant
Georgetown County Government Mission Statement:
It is the mission of Georgetown County to provide quality services to the general public in a courteous and efficient manner contributing to the health, safety, and welfare of all.
Adopted this 26th day of March, 1996
Identity Theft Protection Policy 2009
To oversee daily operations of Georgetown County Government and execute the policies and directives of County Council
Council-Administrator Form of Government: Georgetown County operates within the "Council-Administrator" form of Government. This form of government appoints a professional public administrator to be the administrative head of the county government.
- Serves as chief administrative officer of the county
- Executes the policies, directives and legistlative actions of the council
- Directs and coordinates operations of the county
- Prepares annual operating and capital budgets for the council, and requires such reports, estimates and statistics as necessary from county departments and agencies
- Supervises the expenditure of appropriated funds
- Prepares financial and administrative reports for the council
- Administers county personnel policies, including salary and classification plans approved by council
- Employs county personnel, subject to council appropriation of funds for that purpose
- Performs other duties as required by the council
- Responds to requests for information and/or assistance from individuals, business and private organizations, other governments and community groups
- Works with elected officials (local, state and national) to ensure that all County departments are operating in the most efficient and effective way to provide services and accountability to the County´s taxpayers (citizens)
The County Administrator does not:
- Have authority over any elected County Official and their offices created by the State Constitution or state laws, with the exception of applying general organizational policies adopted by County Council.
- Determine or set taxes or fees without approval of County Council
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Whom should I contact concerning departmental questions and or complaints regarding a County Department or employee?
A: The Administrator’s Office serves as a referral source for citizens, businesses, organizations and other governmental agencies, directs individuals to the proper County department(s), and responds to or helps resolve complaints/problems regarding services provided by County Department.
Q: Whom do I contact concerning an assessment of my property?
A: The Assessor’s Office can answer questions concerning County property assessments. The office is located at 129 Screven Street, Room 106, or call (843) 545-3014.
Q: Whom should I contact to report animal complaints?
A: Georgetown County Sheriff´s Office, 333 Cleland St. Georgetown, SC 29440, or call 843-546-5101. Response only to emergency calls after hours. For more information on animal control issues click on the link provided: Animal Control
Q: Whom do I contact concerning a business license?
A: Georgetown County does not require a business license. Contact individual municipalities for information on whether a business license is required within city limits. The County does have a Local Accommodation/Hospitality Tax. See General Accommodation/Hospitality Tax Information and Instructions under the Frequently Asked Questions in the Finance Section, or you may call 843-545-3065.
Q: Whom do I contact concerning a building permit, mobile home permit, change of tenant permit, retirement of mobile home title permit or demolition permit?
A: Contact the Georgetown County Building Department at 843-545-3116 or visit our office located at 129 Screven Street, Georgetown, SC. For more information on permits, click on the link provided: Building Department
Q: Whom do I contact concerning contractor registration in Georgetown County?
A: Contact the Georgetown County Building Department at 843-545-3116 or visit our office at 129 Screven Street, Georgetown, SC. For more information on how to register as a contractor, click on the link provided: Building Department
Q: Whom do I contact regarding a marriage license?
A: Probate Court, located in the Georgetown County Courthouse, 401 Cleland Street, Georgetown, or you may contact them at (843) 545-3274.
Links and Additional Information:
South Carolina Association of Counties
Georgetown County Code of Ordinances
Contact Info ·