Sel Hemingway, County Administrator
Location: 716 Prince St., Georgetown, S.C. 29440
Phone: (843) 545-3006
Fax: (843) 545-3121
Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m., Monday through Friday (except for legal holidays)
Mailing address: 716 Prince St., Georgetown, S.C. 29440
Point of Contact: Ollie Lewis, Executive Administrative Assistant
To oversee daily operations of Georgetown County government and execute the policies and directives of County Council.
Council-Administrator Form of Government:
Georgetown County operates within the "council-administrator" form of Government. This form of government appoints a professional public administrator to be the administrative head of the county government
- Serves as chief administrative officer of the county
- Executes the policies, directives and legislative actions of the council
- Directs and coordinates operations of the county
- Prepares annual operating and capital budgets for the council, and requires such reports, estimates and statistics as necessary from county departments and agencies
- Supervises the expenditure of appropriated funds
- Prepares financial and administrative reports for the council
- Administers county personnel policies, including salary and classification plans approved by council
- Employs county personnel, subject to council appropriation of funds for that purpose
- Performs other duties as required by the council
- Responds to requests for information and/or assistance from individuals, business and private organizations, other governments and community groups
- Works with elected officials (local, state and national) to ensure that all county departments operate in the most efficient and effective way to provide services and accountability to the County´s taxpayers (residents)
The County Administrator does not:
- Have authority over any elected county official or offices created by the State Constitution or state laws, with the exception of applying general organizational policies adopted by County Council
- Determine or set taxes or fees without approval of County Council
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Who should I contact concerning departmental questions and or complaints regarding a County Department or employee?
A: The Administrator’s Office serves as a referral source for citizens, businesses, organizations and other governmental agencies; directs individuals to the proper county department(s); and responds to or helps resolve complaints/problems regarding services provided by county departments.
Q: Who do I contact concerning an assessment of my property?
A: The Assessor’s Office can answer questions concerning county property assessments. The office is located at 129 Screven St., Room 106, Georgetown, or call (843) 545-3014. For more information, click here http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/assessor/default.html
Q: Who should I contact to report animal complaints?
A: Georgetown County Sheriff´s Office, 333 Cleland St., Georgetown, or call (843) 546-5101. After hours response is to emergency calls only. For more information on animal control issues, click here http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/animalcontrol/default.html
Q: Who do I contact concerning a business license?
A: Georgetown County does not require business licenses. Contact individual municipalities for information on whether a business license is required within city limits. The county does have a Local Accommodation/Hospitality Tax. For more information about that, call (843) 545-3065 or click here http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/finance/atax.html#hospitalitytax
Q: Who do I contact concerning a building permit, mobile home permit, change of tenant permit, retirement of mobile home title permit or demolition permit?
A: Contact the Georgetown County Building Department at (843) 545-3116 or visit our office at 129 Screven St., Georgetown. For more information on permits, click here http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/building/default.html
Q: Who do I contact concerning contractor registration in Georgetown County?
A: Contact the Georgetown County Building Department at (843) 545-3116 or visit our office at 129 Screven St., Georgetown. For more information on how to register as a contractor, click here http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/building/default.html
Q: Who do I contact regarding a marriage license?
A: Probate Court, located in the Georgetown County Judicial Center, 401 Cleland Street, Georgetown, or you may call (843) 545-3274. For more information, click here http://www.georgetowncountysc.org/probate/default.html
Links and Additional Information: